Have you been dreaming of becoming a virtual assistant or a freelancer? Are you excited at the thought of being able to set your own hours, work from home (or anywhere you please), and be your own boss?
It can be tough to break into the freelance world, especially if you don’t have any experience. And it’s even harder to find work if you’re not sure what you’re good at and what services to offer.
In this article, I am going to show you how to get started in freelancing even if you don’t have any experience. So read on, and let’s make your freelance dreams a reality!
Don't be afraid to start your own freelance career. Here are the reasons why:
Freelancing and offering Virtual Assistant services is a great way to be in control of your own career and work on your own schedule.
- These service providers are very much in high demand now. Many companies and professionals are looking for help with a variety of tasks on a project basis.
- Nowadays, virtual assistants and freelancers work remotely on projects or tasks they choose to work on. Since they can work on multiple projects, they are given the flexibility to choose which one interests them.
- Rates can be negotiated based on skills and experience.
So, if you’re looking for a way to be in control of your time, your location, and what to work on, then consider becoming a virtual assistant or a freelancer. It’s a great way to enjoy the work you are doing and make a good living.
Figure out what you're good at and what you enjoy doing most or get training.
The best place to begin is by thinking about what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing.
- Do you have a skill that others could benefit from?
- Are you passionate about a particular subject?
- Try to acquire skills you can easily adopt and improve.
Once you’ve pinpointed your strengths or have taken training to improve a lacking skill, you can start to look for freelance opportunities that match your skillset. After all, freelancing is all about working on your own terms. If you’re not passionate about the project, it will be difficult to stay motivated and produce high-quality work. Keep these things in mind as you begin your search for the perfect freelance gig. With continued effort, you’re sure to find something that’s a perfect fit!
Here are some popular types of virtual assistant or freelancer services:
1. Creating Graphic and Video Content
2. Copywriting Assistance
3. e-Commerce Management
4. Lead Generation
5. Customer care
6.Digital Marketing Service
7. Marketing Strategist
8. Social Media Management
9. Creation of a website and landing pages
10. Sales Closing
11. Researchers SEO Services
Start building a portfolio of your work, even if you don't have any professional experience yet.
If you want to start building a portfolio of your work but don’t have any professional experience yet, there are still plenty of things you can do.
Consider taking courses that will help you develop the skills you need for the type of work you’re interested in. For example, if you’re interested in blogging and web design, take some courses in copywriting and WordPress. Not only will this help you build up your skills, but it will also give you something to put in your portfolio.
- A few websites to try for training are Udemy, FiverrLearn, Appssumo, and EliteVAExperts. The thing I like most about EliteVAExperts is the 30-day internship that comes with the training, allowing you to practice what you have learned immediately and start building the portfolio you need to apply for a freelancer or a virtual assistant project.
- Try to get into internships. Paid or free internships are a great way to get real-world experience while also padding your portfolio. Having someone validate your work, even if you’re just doing it for a few months during an internship, will help you improve your skills. Even more, if the manager or your team lead is in a mentoring mode, getting valuable advice from those who have gone through the path is a great help.
- Try offering your services free to friends or relatives with businesses.
So, if you’re looking to start building a portfolio, don’t let the lack of professional experience stop you.
Establish contact with freelancers and virtual assistants.
There are plenty of opportunities to connect with other freelancers and virtual assistants who can provide support, advice, and even business opportunities. Virtual assistant Facebook groups are a great way to get started. VA Helping VA and Philippine Copywriters, Bloggers, and Freelancers are a start. These groups provide advice on the VA training path and sometimes help you find some projects as well. These groups are typically open to all freelancers and virtual assistants, and they provide a space for members to ask questions, share advice, and network with each other. In addition, many groups also offer resources such as job postings, discount codes, and referral programs. So, if you’re looking to connect with other freelancers and virtual assistants, be sure to check out some of the top virtual assistant Facebook groups.
Don't be afraid to market yourself and promote your services.
We’ve got great news for you! There’s never been a better time to learn how to become a virtual assistant than today. More and more companies are opening their doors to remote service providers. They have seen the benefits they can get from hiring freelancers and VAs.
These benefits can be :
- Saving time on recruitment
- Getting an expert to help with their project
- Reduced labor costs
- Save time from admin tasks
- Help businesses expand their social media reach
- Improved customer service
- Increase output productivity
Here is a list where you can look for freelance or virtual assistant opportunities, Check out my article on Tips On How To Pass Your Virtual Interview.
- Online Jobs PH
- We Work Remotely
- Simply Hired
- People per Hour
- Design Crowd
- Flex Jobs
- Micro Resumes
- Belay Solutions
- Beacon Hill
Freelancing can be a great way to make a living, but it’s not for everyone. Stay tuned if you think freelancing is right for you and want to start doing what you need to do to make it happen. In my next blog post, I’ll talk about pricing and how to put yourself in a position to get the best price for your service.